A lot of people get uncomfortable when it’s time to go to the dentist. Anticipating pain, lack of anesthetic, and general fear of a dentist office can cause even the most basic dentistry to be an ordeal. When this happens, you want the best dentist possible to help you by providing sedation dentistry in a safe manner. Before receiving sedation dentistry, you’ll discuss with your dentist the best type of sedation for you. There are a few different types of sedation and anesthetics.
- Topical – This is a simple numbing solution put on the skin or near the tooth to help you not feel the most basic pain. This is good for cleanings, but not for anything much more serious than that.
- Local – Local anesthesia is given by injection near the site of where the work is being done. This is generally used for extractions or fillings to ease any pain or discomfort.
- Laughing gas – Nitrous oxide, otherwise known as laughing gas, reduces fear and anxiety to make the dentistry process a little more comfortable and enjoyable. It’s not so strong that you can’t drive yourself home afterwards, but it’s strong enough to keep you comfortable during your procedure.
- Oral – Taken by mouth, these pills can help you relax during your procedure and forget much of it afterwards. The less you remember about the procedure (if you find it uncomfortable), the easier it will be to visit the dentist next time.
- Intramuscular – For those who won’t tolerate oral or IV sedation, an intramuscular shot may be the way to go. These have the same effects as oral, but are easier for people who don’t want to swallow pills.
- Intravenous – This is one of the best ways to receive sedation, since the whole experience can be tailored directly to a patient’s needs throughout the procedure. You may sleep or simply be in a twilight state throughout and have very little memory of the procedure at the end.
If you receive sedation dentistry at Affinity Dental, rest assured that you’re getting the best care possible. We’ll discuss all of your options with you carefully before administering them and prepare you for any side effects.
At Affinity Dental we strive to provide our patients with the personal, professional, quality dental care they need, while making it convenient, painless, and affordable. We offer morning, evening, and weekend hours to accomodate our patients and provide access to care to fit your busy schedule.
Our doctors and staff are dedicated to improving your dental health!