Periodontitis disease (more commonly known as gum disease) is when the gum and bone are pulling away from the teeth, forming pockets. These pockets collect debris, promote the growth of bacteria, and can cause infections, which begins to break down the bone and connective tissue that hold teeth in place.
Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. Fortunately, gum disease is pretty preventable if you know some proper oral care tips!
Tips for Preventing Gum Disease
- Brushing: The easiest way to avoid gum disease is with regular brushing…at least twice a day. And don’t forget to brush your tongue, germs can collect there too!
- Mouthwash: Mouthwash is a great way to supplement brushing. Often, mouthwash kills bacteria that brushing cannot reach.
- Flossing: You should make sure to floss at least once a day and remove the food particles that got stuck between your teeth.
- Eating Healthy: Yes, what you eat can affect your oral health, especially for children. A healthy diet is one that includes whole grains, vegetables, and fruits; is low in fat and saturated fat; and is low in sodium. Too much sugar in your diet will rot your teeth.
- Quit Smoking: Tobacco is simply not good for your teeth and gums and tobacco users are more than six times more likely to develop gum disease than nonsmokers.
- Regular Dental Visits: We recommend seeing the dentist at least every 6 months, if not more. This will help to keep your teeth and gums healthy and will help identify the warning signs of gum disease.
Affinity Dental Associates: Exceptional Dental Care in Catonsville, Maryland
Our experienced dental hygienists provide a variety of services to our patients including “dental cleanings”(prophylaxis), “deep scaling”(scaling and root planing), “dental Xrays”, patient education, oral cancer screenings, dental product recommendations, fluoride and local antibiotic therapies and personalized homecare instruction. Call today and make an appointment with Sharon, Emily, Tammy or Donna for an exceptional dental hygiene experience!
If you have any questions about Gum Disease and Oral Health Tips, please contact Affinity Dental Associates by calling 410-719-7900 or visit MarylandsBestDentists.com today!
Our doctors and staff are dedicated to improving your dental health!
Source: Prevention WebMD